Tuesday, December 13, 2016

In memory of Eazy E

Let's just start out by saying I don't know much more about Eazy-E than what we have in "Straight Outta Compton" the movie, the song "Boyz n the Hood," the song "Eazy Duz It," and to a certain extent, my experience on the HIV service at Grady for a few years.
I have to say the Eazy scenes in the movie were poignant and took me back to a place I barely think about: the bedside of a dying AIDS patient.  I missed most of the hopelessness of the pre-AZT era but we had plenty of patients that developed complications mostly due to social problems.  I remember many rooms with the sick patient, the grieving family, waiting for some sort of response to treatment, or, more commonly, deterioration.
But let's celebrate the art of this man, and specifically the song "Boyz n the Hood."  I submit it as an urban classic, up with Iceberg Slim's books.  These are street stories, but they're not told to glorify the teller.  "Don't quote me..I ain't said s---," he says.
It's the tone of the writing that impresses me.  We don't have a lot of storytelling in hip hop at all.
There are also clues of a finer mind at work.  How does a street poet know about a "right cross?"
My biggest pleasure in this song is reading between the lines.  Who chases a car stereo thief up the street with a loaded gun to call a "truce?" Maybe on the streets a truce is settled by a shootout, but most other places the word means something different.  Here is a guy with some mastery over language, keeping everything hidden away, even the meaning of his words.
Even Iceberg Slim had a mixed message in his book "Pimp."  There was a mixture of glorification and warning or even regret.
So we are left with no message but the story by itself.  Storytelling itself becomes the goal.  Stories around the campfire have been a constant of human existence for thousands of years.  The format and content may have changed, but Eazy gives you a story you know to be an embellishment of the truth, but with some underlying relevance to his world.  Before Fetty Wap, were there stories coming out of abandoned buildings?  These are marginalia, but fascinating glimpses into a place we don't see or visit often.

No comments:

Post a Comment